One of the most wondrous things seen at Google’s Complex is a real life Gigantic Dinosaur skeleton. Folklore has it that the founders Larry and Sergey put it there to remind Google staff that if they do not keep innovating they can become extinct like Dinosaurs.
There is definitely merit in their thinking. Innovation is what carries humanity forward; it’s how we can ever hope to create a dent in the sky, in the universe. The same can be said about Social Media. It’s new and innovative.
Social Media is the latest shiny new toy for marketers. It’s radically changing how people sell by providing opportunities to better reach and target audiences.
Social Media Marketing however, it’s not for everyone. There are others who prefer to maintain the status quo. If it’s not broken why fix it, if it worked in the past, it will work today, they say.
The question is – Which one are you? An innovator or a Dinosaur?
Here are Ten Reasons why Social Media Marketing is not for You
- You enjoy talking to busy Personal Assistants, the gatekeepers, who never have time for you and are unable to connect you to decision makers in the company you are trying to sell to
- You enjoy wasting stationery printing fliers that you have to beg people to take
- You are a fan of standing by the robots or in the middle of the road near an intersection, risking your life, pestering motorists to take your flier which they quickly discard at the earliest convenience.
- Never mind Xenophobia, you have Technophobia, you are afraid of anything to do with technology. You try to stay clear of social networks and Whatsapp.
- You are petrified of accountability. You do not enjoy clients talking back. You are in the zone when you put out your advert and don’t get feedback from clients.
- You are afraid of change, you rather have others figure out this social media thing and only test it out when it’s no longer risky.
- It’s a waste of time, completely frivolous, something that your children and co-workers waste their time on.
- You do not see how social media can ever be used for business or getting new clients. You believe serious business people are not Social Media not even LinkedIn.
- . You say you cannot measure results with Social Media. You ignore that there are Facebook insights, number of likes, engagement rate and other tools that help marketers measure the Return on Investment on Social Media. Tools that are not available for measuring Traditional Media.
- You just like complaining that the economy is hard, marketing and advertising budgets are being cut and there is just nothing you can do.
Why it’s never too late to change?
Good news though is that it’s never too late to change. You can adapt and begin to use Social Media to generate leads and customers. The secret subscribe to this blog and keep reading the posts. In no time you will be on your way to becoming a Social Media Aficionado. I love hearing your stories in the comments section below.